Coat 1 of 2 done. I also got new fabric to line the inside #DIY #samsonite #vintage
Easy, Free, Online Photo Editing….
makeupadventures said: …. By the way, how do you format/edit a picture like you did in this post with text? I’ve always wanted to learn how to group photos together and label them…
For anyone else that wants to learn…
- I try to group/find all my desired pictures together if possible using Polyvore.com because it is the easiest way to find pictures and arrange them by dragging and clicking. They have a pretty big catalog but every once in a while they wont have just what I am looking for. [Note, you do need an account to create a collage but its free]
- In cases when I can’t find what I want in polyvore [which is mainly fashion items] I use good old google and search for stock free images or promotional images the company is distributing freely
- I then go to http://pixlr.com/
- I use the “Editor” tab where I can import all my desired pictures and go to work on my collage
- As for the fonts, I use dafont.com to install all my desired fonts into my computer since polyvore is pretty limited in that department. [Has both PC and MAC codes] I do one of two things, I either drag my collage into a “drawing” program in my computer so that I can type in the labels or I once again use pixlr.com. All fonts are free and most of them, about 80% of them, will code properly over at pixlr and thus be available with in their pixlr font list for me to use
- Once in pixlr I then just do a whole lot of coping and pasting and resizing until I am happy
Pixlr is a great tool if you havent dished out the big bucks for photoshop yet, but like any program you just have to play with it to learn. However, considering it is a free program you can do a whole lot with your images or even with creating one…It was recommended to me by a photographer that uses it to edit her pictures because she refuses to buy photoshop :)
You can use it for free to make collages and some basic editing or labeling or you can pay $4 a month to do some heavy duty photo editing like airbrushing, changing lighting, adding effects, etc.
This might be a little too pink and sparkly for some, but sometimes you need something pink and sparkly in your life right?! If you can’t handle the two together, try making them seperately - a gold heart hair pin would be cute!
DIY Mood Board Inspiration: My Current Projects
(Images found via pinterest)
I love pinterest for inspiration, and thanks to that addictive site I found some fun activities I am currently working on…
1. Beverage Coasters: These are made of scrabble tiles, using drinks inspired words. I have my hot glue, tiles and varnish ready. I am just looking for some cork material to use as backing & I am ready to go.
2. Wine Cork Welcome mat: I think I am going to place the finished mat in the patio. Sadly… I have enough for about 1/4 of the mat. With the holidays coming, who knows, maybe Ill be done soon.
3. Mr & Mrs Pillow Case Set: I am still not sure if I want to paint on the letters or do iron ons. I am also thinking about the color for the actual pillow case, white is so nice but I don’t know…
4. Key Christmas ornaments: I think I might still have many old keys so I will be making these ornaments soon. Each key will have the address of places husband and I have lived, I think its a lovely walk down memory lane.
5. Map Art: These heart shaped maps feature places where a couple met, wed and lives. I think it’s the perfect project now that hubby and I purchased a home and have allowed our selves to “fully nest.” I think it will go over our bed. I am simply searching for the perfect frame.
6. Letter Ornament: I want to make an “R” letter to hand over our bedroom door. I think it will be lovely.
Do you have any DIY you are working on?
All around my house you will find bottles of nail polish. The weirdest place I’ve found it? Next to my driveway. I think I painted my nails in my car, put it next to the car and forgot about it. Yep. Anyway, a storage box would be a lotmore practical and I’d be able to find the one I want without having to go on a treasure hunt! I also really like the way each bottle has the colour painted on top - a lot easier to work out which colour you want at a peek.
If you give a girl a Pancake…
Yesterday I decided I was going to make Pancakes for Sunday breakfast… BUT since I have been in a baking roll these past few weeks I said “No packet mix for me, I am making my pancakes the old school way.” Out came my ingredients
To make your own Pancake Mix you will need;
- 1 1/2 Cups of all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 cups of Milk…I used buttermilk
Put ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cook in medium heat in a nonstick pan with a bit of spray butter or the tiniest bit of oil. Pour into skillet with a spoon for those perfect circles.
Don’t mean to brag but these were the best pancakes I have ever had, homemade or store bought. Never going back to Aunt Jamima again…sorry Auntie.
Until Next Time…
DIY Avocado Smoothie
Sounds sorta scary, doesn’t it!? I was scared too but it is actually very yummy!
You will need:
In your blender you will add, one medium sized avocado, cubed [Mexican Avocados are apparently sweeter and best for this recipe] pineapple cubed [you can use canned one too] 2 cups of ice and pineapple juice to taste.
The amount of Juice will depend on how sweet and how runny you like your smoothie. Less juice equal less sugar and a thicker smoothie. More juice, more sugar more runny!
Blend, blend, blend and then, Enjoy!
Very refreshing, very yummy and a perfect treat for spring! [Thank you to the I love Mexican Avocado Stand in the L.A Times Festival of Books for such a great recipe]
Until Next Time…
Mood Board: Green Thumb
This month I started Gardening…well, as much as one can Garden with out an actual backyard and with-in the confines of ones balcony! But I am exited as I begin to see
Let me tell you, being a Green Thumb is no joke. I killed my first few plants and I fear for the life of two of my new ones! I did everything I knew to do, I watered them, being careful not to over water or neglect, I put them in the path of happy sunshine and cooling shade at various times of the day AND like my grandma ( a successful Gardiner) I told them that they were the prettiest plants I ever did see!
Yet still some just refuse to grow. I did purchase some Cactus so as to not feel like a complete gardening failure. I think I should listen to my pen pal and buy some started plants, I mean she too has an actual Garden, she should know best. Next on the porch gardening agenda are Herbs and Terrariums.
Here is some Pinterest-inspiration!
Until Next Time…
Pinterest Find: Blossom Tree
This is the cutest thing in the world! I must have my students do this when we visit Japan for our Virtual Vacation and the end of the Month!
Cutest Litte DIY Love Map Ever. Found at Minimoz here.
Valentine’s Day is almost here and I am simply in the spirit of love. I am finishing up some Valentine postcards for family & friends and I sit here wondering how long it will take me to bake 54 cupcakes for my 52 ASP kiddos and 2 staff. I decided to give my students cupcakes this year instead of cards and candy. My Nutella cupcakes were such a hit in cooking club that I have to give every one a taste now. As part of the celebration I also am doing the Jar of Hearts craft for my husband and he has been enjoying thus far.
I did a little garland today to get more into the spirit.
All I used was paper doilies, yarn, felt stickers and a glue stick. I am very pleased with the results
Must try this tutorial
Heart Elbow Patches | Honestly WTF
Two things I love about this DIY - one, it’s great for Valentine’s Day because it’s not too OTT Valentine-sy but still sweet (and you can still wear it after Valentine’s Day without looking cray-cray!) plus it means you get to try out felting. Felting is a great stress reliever - you basically just stab the felt over and over until it’s… felted. This would be adorable for a kid’s jumper too, maybe with star elbow patches on a blue top?
Heart & Whimsy
Yay! I finally got gutsy and opened up an etsy shop. I been wanting to do this for about 2 years now and I am glad I finally did it. Currently I only have two items listed but as I start making more items I will add more to the list.
I will be selling adjustable rings, scrabble jewelry, rosette headbands which I am in the process of assembling right now, hand painted Grocery/Library canvas bags, cosmetics bags, and earrings. Also, my mom and I will be working together to sale some of her amazing crochet designs for the winter and fall months. The goal is to make 50 scarfs for fall and maybe a few quilts. I need to show you the designs they are amazing… She made me three to keep for myself as samples.
Here are some pics of my rings…very simple and geeky but I like this type of handmade jewelry and I figured there might be others that do too, so why not? Plus its a nice creative outlet. The samples were made with hot glue but the items in the shop will be made with jewelers glue. I also thinking of varnishing the scrabble tiles for durability.
Pinterest Find: Fabric, so much Fabric
Another super cute idea found on pinterest that I simply must try.
All you need are ribbon or fabric craps, hangers, bracelets or headbands, perhaps a glue gun or fabric glue and viola.
Then you can Just go crazy wrapping. I want to try this with my female students and also on my closet, my hangers could use a pick me up!
(Picture does not belong to me and was found on Pinterest)
Tote bag Love
I found the above bag in the A beautiful Mess website. I love that blog and it is by far one of my favorites. This is such a super cute idea that I really want to try!
The second find comes from the ever so talented Martha Stewart. All you need is a canvas bag, some fabric paint and an apple.
I must get some supply next time I go to Michael’s :)